Friday, April 17, 2009

GRAND MASTER M.ASHRAF TAI'S AN INTERVIEW

POST BY FAISAL MEHMOOD SIR GRAND MASTER M.ASHRAF TAI AN INTERVIEW.
Interview of Grand Master Mr. Muhammad Ashraf Tai Famous martial artist, Grand Master Mr. Muhammad Ashraf Tai had introduced Bando, the Burmese style of martial arts, in Pakistan way back in 1971 but it were his accomplishments against top-notchers which earned him fame and recognition. Ashraf Tai had created a sensation by overpowering Stanley Michael of Malaysia in the final of the Afro-Asia Championship in 1978. He had confirmed his superiority in the continent by outwitting Japan's Koha Yash a year later.After emerging triumphant in a tournament staged in Sri Lanka in 1980, Ashraf Tai dared fighting the reigning world champion, Don Wilson of the United States, in 1981. The creditable performance against the world champion elevated his ranking to the ninth place in the world. Ashraf Tai then founded the Pakistan Karate Federation (PKF) and succeeded in having the body affiliated with the Pakistan Olympic Association (POA) as well as the Pakistan Sports Board (PSB).Having received numerous awards in various continents of the world during his illustrious career, Ashraf Tai was declared the International Grand Master of the Year in 2000 by an institution based in the United States.The Tai's Bando Karate Centre, founded by him in 1971, has already trained thousands of martial artists. The branches of his centres have not only been functioning with great success all over the country but the students trained by him have also been operating the centres named after him in quite a few countries like the United States, England, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, France, Holland and Bangladesh.Lately Mr. M. Ashraf Tai, was conferred the coveted Pride of Performance award by President General Pervez Musharraf.The pioneer of Bando karate in Pakistan, Ashraf Tai holds the distinction of claiming the highest degree (8th Dan) in the martial arts history of the country. Only a handful of martial artists have matched his feat worldwide. Interview with KalPoint.comKalPoint: Please tell us briefly about yourself, including your brought up and your journey towards success.Mr. Mohammd Ashraf Tai: My dad’s name is Abdul Ghaffar Tai. I have 5 brothers and three sisters. I started karate at the age of 9 with my master Lee Phow Shin. I got my black belt at the age of 16. I started participating in a lot of local tournaments, most of which were professional. In 1965 we shifted to Bangladesh. But I came here and went there on and off. I did my B. Com from Govt. College of Commerce, Chittagong, but I was never a good student. In 1970, I migrated to Karachi. In 1971, I started first ever martial arts school in Pakistan, which was located at Hill Park, Karachi. In 1972, I shifted my center to KGA Gym Khana ground, which is now my International Head Quarter. We have branches in Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Iran, America, Middle East, France, India, UK and I visit them each year. America is our second Head Quarter, which I visit every two to three months. In the beginning when I started teaching karate at Hill Park, I had hardly 6 or 7 students and a very hard time. I had to call people to come and learn karate. But they would say this man is so skinny himself, how would he teach us karate! But Alhamdulillah later I received tremendous response by masses and the respect they bestowed on me is more precious than anything.KPDC: When was the first time you actually got mass coverage?Mr. M. A. T: One day, I was very depressed because I was missing my family and was in Burma. My students said they’d take me to Capri Cinema to see a movie. So we went. The queue for ticket was very long, so I used the method they use in Burma. Might is right. I tried to barge across and made my way through the queue. The guard man, who was a Mekrani, he came forward and started hammering me. I did not react, although my students forced me to teach him a lesson by hitting him back. He also called few of his friends to help him out. Then on insistence of my students, I gave the guy a temple shot and he immediately fell down. People started shouting “goli maar dee” and more people gathered. But I explained to people it was my fist, not a goli. I was an instant star immediately.KPDC: Is karate played in the Olympics?Mr. M. A. T: It will be played in the next Olympics. This Olympics there will be demonstration, in the next Olympics, it will be played. KPDC: Does karate also teach mind and body exercises like yoga?Mr. M. A. T: Yes it does. When you first start learning karate the first slogan you come to know is mind and body coordination. Like I mentioned before, in the later stages of karate, that is after one achieves black belt, yoga is involved.KPDC: Can one adopt Karate as a full-time profession?Mr. A. T: Yes Of course. I am a Memon from Jetpur and the perception about Memons is that they are coward. I was a street fighter sort of guy and I have adopted it as a profession. Memons should be proud of me. I’ve proved that perception wrong. Memons have a creative mind and they can do any thing they want. This is a highly respectable profession but one should do it in a proper way who wants to adopt it as a profession. My students are imparting training all over the world and are highly paid and top of everything the amount of respect one gets from the student is beyond the limit.KPDC: How did you feel being declared as the International Grand Master of the Year in 2000 by an institution based in the United States?Mr. A. T: World Karate Association (WKA) keeps an eye on the records and achievements of Karate Masters & sees how they promote the Martial Arts in their country & worldwide. This association uses to award them with different laurels and rewards. I was in USA that time and was in the board of directors so they awarded me with this award keeping in view my commitments and achievements for the endorsement of Karate. It’s a great feeling.KPDC: What is the procedure of acquiring admission in your institution?Mr. A. T: Firstly, the person has to fill the basic information. In the beginning we start with the white belt, then yellow, orange, green, blue, brown and finally black belt. To get the admission in institute there’s no such special criteria, anyone can obtain the admission. We don’t say no to anybody. KPDC: With the presence of latest automatic weapons and machines, how can we utilize Martial Arts to save ourselves?Mr. A. T: If the ammunition is at distance, surrender is the only option but if close there are many Karate tactics that can be utilized to be at safer side. During training we also train our trainees in the way that if somebody challenges you with ammunition, he comes with you by your inspiring actions.KPDC: We would like to have your comments on work done by Kalia Group to endorse the field of Information Technology in the countryMr. A. T: It was a very informative and learning experience for me to visit Kalia Group and to witness the superbly managed work being done by the people here. I am highly admired by the way KalSoft is instrumental in Software Development. KalSoft has certainly made it in the realm of IT. I am impressed with the services Kalia Group has rendered for masses not only in the country but for people all over the world through the web portal www.KalPoint.com. I admire the endeavors of Kalia Group in Information Technology world and am optimistic that the services of Kalia Group will be a treasure for the generations to come. May Allah bless you people in your endeavors and give all the success. Best of LuckKPDC: What message would you like to convey to the youngster through our website?Mr. M. A. T: Education and sports go together. To do something & to achieve a landmark in life you have to be highly motivated. There’s no short cut that takes you to the top. Motivation, devotion, continuous hard work can get you something. Be optimistic in your life and always be at the positive side.
FAISAL MEHMOOD (GRAND MASTER M.A.TAI) STUDENT.

No comments:

Post a Comment